MAZE Ensemble for exploratory music
MAZE is a new electroacoustic ensemble dedicated to performing music that challenges the idea of fixed form and a fixed listening perspective. The aim of the ensemble is to offer the listener different forms of navigating their own path in the music. This is found in not only the repertoire, but the musicians’ approach and their performance practice.
Encompassing repertoire from the experimental tradition of John Cage, Alvin Lucier, Tony Conrad and Robert Ashley up to the contemporary work of artists such as Christian Marclay, Elliott Sharp and ensemble members Anne La Berge and Yannis Kyriakides, the aim of the ensemble is to build a body of work that reinterprets the relationships between performer and music, and audience and performer.
An hour long rendition of Alvin Lucier’s influential work Memory Space performed in a spatialized setting, where audience can navigate the space and choose to eavesdrop on the musicians’ audio score.
Christian Marclay portrait
Christian Marclay, a turntable pioneer and visual artist, explores connections between found materials of sound, image & text. These materials often stem from everyday life or popular culture. Marclay creates spaces where initial unity, meaning and purpose are lost and redefined by the generative powers of difference and translation.
MAZE performs interpretations of the videoscores ‘Screenplay’, ’The Bell and the Glass’ and the card-game ‘Shuffle’.
Foliage by Elliott Sharp
A new graphic score by American composer and improviser Elliott Sharp that plays with the boundary between imagined and real sound. Debris of conventional music notation is transformed into warped images that redefine time.
Revisiting work by some of the pioneers of experimental electronic music, Robert Ashley, Tony Conrad, Alvin Lucier, and John Cage.
- Anne La Berge | flute and electronics
- Dario Calderone | contrabass
- Gareth Davis | bass clarinet
- Reinier van Houdt | piano, keyboards and electronics
- Wiek Hijmans | electric guitar
- Yannis Kyriakides | computer and electronics
MAZE was created by the members of Ensemble MAE.
- 13 March 2015 – MAZE plays Justin Bennett’s work BLUEPRINT @ GEMAK, Den Haag
- 14 September 2014 – MAZE play John Cage programme @ Orgelpark, Amsterdam
- 16 April 2014 – MAZE play Christian Marclay programme @ Stadsschouwburg, Brugge, Belgium
- 14 March 2014 – MAZE play Alvin Lucier’s (Amsterdam) Memory Space @ Muziekgebouw, Amsterdam as part of Ives Ensemble‘s Lucier Programme
- 22 February 2014 – MAZE play Christian Marclay programme @ Arnofini, Bristol, UK
- 20 February 2014 – MAZE play Kyriakides portrait programme @ Onassis Cultural Centre, Athens, Greece. With Guest Barbara Lüneburg.
- 18 February 2014 – MAZE play Kyriakides and La Berge @ Splendor, Amsterdam
- 17 November 2013 – MAZE play Elliott Sharp @ Guitar Matrix, MuzyQ, Amsterdam, Abbey Road Studio, 17:00
- 7 November 2013 – MAZE & Christian Marclay @ November Music 2013 | Verkade Fabriek, Den Bosch, Grote Zaal 20:45
- 16 September 2013: MAZE & Shackle @ STEIM, Amsterdam. With Guest Scott Miller.
- 19 June 2013 – MAZE & Christian Marclay @ Holland Festival | EYE Filminstitute, Amsterdam, 20:30
- 13 June 2013 Presentation of CD – (Amsterdam) Memory Space – MAZE play Alvin Lucier @ OT301, Amsterdam